Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Benefits Your Children
There is a rapidly growing population using Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Alternative Therapies in Australia for a myriad of health conditions.
However, most people do not know that TCM can benefit their children as well. There are many questions we receive from concerned parents for this type of treatment.
* Is Acupuncture safe for my children?
* Can TCM still help if my child has a needle phobia?
* What conditions can TCM help?
* How many treatments does my child need?
Acupuncture is a safe and highly regulated form of therapy in Australia. It can be performed on children of all ages, as young as a few months old. Acupuncture is often used in TCM treatments for Paediatric health conditions; however, it is not the only treatment method we use.
Acupuncture for children is a very gentle painless procedure, which feels like a mosquito bite, or sometimes feels like nothing at all. For most babies and toddlers, it will be a simple quick insertion and removal of needles, so the parents do not need to worry about their children not being able to stay still.
For older children, the needle will be retained for a short period time. Unlike adults, children generally respond to the treatment faster as their body is like a fuel tank and is in the state of constant growing and changing. Most children will be reluctant to receive acupuncture at the start, however, once a relationship and trust is established between them and the practitioner, they generally will open to it. The key is never to force them.
Chinese medicine also provides other treatment methods that do not involve needles. This includes
* Paediatric massage
* Moxibustion – a non-invasive TCM technique that involves the burning of herbal mugwort (Artemisia argyi), to facilitate healing
* Chinese herbal medicine in different formulations such as liquid or powder for oral administration, herbal creams, or herbal baths
* Non invasive pellets to stick on acupuncture points
* Diet and lifestyle advice for children and/or parents.
Usually more than one method, but not all will be used in a single treatment.
Treatment methods used and the number of treatments required will differ between children. We will make a comprehensive diagnosis and prescribe individualized treatment that is best for their condition(s).
We strongly believe that every child is different and unique; therefore a customized treatment tailored to each individual is essential to achieve an optimal health outcome.
* Digestive Issues – Colic, Reflux, Diarrhoea, Constipation, Wind, Poor Appetite
* Respiratory Issues – Asthma, Cough, Runny Nose, Tonsillitis, Glandular Fever
* Low Immunity – Recurrent cold &amp; flu or infections
* Skin Conditions – Eczema, Nappy Rash, Warts, Chicken Pox, Molluscum Contagiosum
* Sleep Issues – Bed wetting, nightmares, difficulty falling or staying asleep, fatigue
* Behaviour / Emotional Disorders – ADHD/ADD, autism, hyperactivity, anxiety, stress or low mood
* Delayed Development – underweight, malnutrition, delayed growth physically and mentally
* Neurological Disorders – cerebral palsy, poliomyelitis
* Aches and Pains – teething pain, headaches, earache, muscles or joint pain, strains
Traditional Chinese medicine approaches health matters for your little ones in a safe and natural manner that is effective with little or no adverse effects. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any queries or would like to make an appointment for your children with us.